Wednesday, February 15, 2017

What a Week!!

Oh where to start?

It seemed like it was going to be a good week, my calender was as full as usual, but the first day was for a coffee. Yup, I was actually getting out of the house to meet up with school friends, like a proper grown up!

It was wonderful catching up with these beauties:
I did ask permission to share!

To spend time talking, about everything and anything, catching up on our lives. It was better than a dose of tonic.

Even the next day was good, Tuesday, Valentine's day.

We've never really celebrated the day, I don't know why, I'm not exactly against it. I do think it's got a little too commercial, but you spend what you choose, in my opinion. The last few years we've started to do more on the day, to celebrate love in general. However, I've never had flowers.

Little did I know, this is one of Mr. Ojo's regrets, that he hasn't bought the roses etc. So this year, he put that right:

I was so overwhelmed, when they were delivered, I didn't know whether to slap him or kiss him!
(I kissed him, honest).


Then came today, Wednesday, and the world pushed me flat on my ass.

I had the dreaded diabetic check up. I've known for a while it wasn't going right. I've not drastically changed my diet, I still cook my food, from scratch, I don't bake as much. Don't get me wrong, I am far from perfect, but I'm not THAT bad.

Any way, I was right, my sugars have gone up again, higher than they've ever been, on my quarterly checks. I know I don't look after myself as well as I should, but as a full time carer, half the time I'm too exhausted.

Which leads me to the next part. After years of feeling utterly exhausted, problems with my weight, problems with my iron (the list could go on), I've been diagnosed with an underactive thyroid. 

Do you ever go for a check up and want to say: 
"No shit Sherlock?!"

Every time I look up how I'm feeling, this pops up!
So it's back to the doc, next Monday, for some medication to sort that.

Back to the diabetes, and medication: That's all being changed too. The nurse has agreed that the lixisenatide, that I was injecting, was doing absolutely nothing (obviously, since my sugars shot up). I'm now back on gliclazide for the short term, then when I have some control, onto some new drug. Don't ask me what, I just want it to work!

In the mean time, I have to moniter myself, twice a day. I am now on 12 tablets a day, more to be added next week, but no more injecting. Yay! (oh, sorry, did my sarcasm not come through the screen)

I could, quite honestly, weep.

I'm supposed to be the strong one.
I'm supposed to be caring for those I love.
I don't have time for this shit!

That's my week so far, a full on roller coaster ride. Tomorrow, so far, I have a free day, which will be spent painting my living room. 
Friday is flat out crazy, with hydrotherapy, physiotherapy and inset days.

Stroll on next week, my diary may still fill up.......
But at least I get lie ins!

I have set some plans in place, to sort myself out. Quite frankly, that's all I've been doing for the past few years, but I have to keep trying, right?

I mean, what's the alternative?


  1. Oh huni I am sorry to hear this! I and the GIF girls are here for you xxx

  2. I'm thinking that once the meds for the underactive thyroid are sorted, that may really help you? So at least it's good that is now diagnosed. Hang on in there, hoping everything gets calmer for you soon! x

  3. What a week indeed. I hope you are okay... your flowers are beautiful. I hope you don't get too down about the docs. Sending hugs! xxx


I do love comments and read them all, please be nice and tboughful to others x